Thursday, January 31, 2013

self-experimentation, sloppily

In theory, I'm going to be vegan for the month of February. What this is going to mean in practice is: not actually vegan. But I'm writing it down here for the record, and in an attempt to cement it in my own mind.

So, the exceptions, which I suspect will be embarrassingly legion:


  1. I will eat whatever someone makes for me. (I will continue to pick out any raisins.) This is from a pretty deeply felt sense of politeness, and a desire not to inconvenience my friends for the sake of a frivolous and brief experiment. 
  2. I will eat the perishable non-vegan foods that I already have. (Half a small container of marscapone, a rind of pecorino, a heel of prosciutto, and half a stick of butter.) 
  3. I will take any opportunity to consume raw milk that is presented to me, at any time. (Opportunities to purchase to be considered if they arise.)

The reasons, which are embarrassingly few:
  1. Jimmy McWilliams
  2. Curiosity (encompassing a few more specific considerations, some worthy, and some less so) 
  3. I've already stopped buying milk and eggs, since I just don't consumer them quickly enough on my own. I've also realized that I haven't been relying heavily on cheese. Almost all of the dairy that I currently consume is in the form of baked goods, at work, which I'd like to change.

My expectations:
  1. I will miss cheese the most.
  2. I will be wicked cranky for February's PMS.
  3. I will eat a lot of nuts.
I work in a bakery. This will be hard. But you know what, self? Everything will be there again in March. It's just a month. Try it.

Here goes.

No comments: